Building permits are required in the Town of Amherst for all new construction, additions, sheds, decks, porches, new and replacement septic systems, swimming pools, signs, and most improvements. A Building Permit Application must be submitted in order to receive a building permit. Due to limited Staffing and the increase in building permit applications, permit review will take approximately 10-14 business days. Per RSA 676:13 the Building Inspector has 30 days to approve or deny a completed building permit application once submitted.
There is a seven (7) day posting period once the permits are issued before work can begin. The applications and permits are obtained in the Amherst Zoning Office and carry fees as outlined in the Fee Schedule below. Whenever a permit cannot be approved, fees are refundable after a deduction of ten percent (10%) of the permit fee or a minimum of $1.00. The balance shall be refunded by the Town Treasurer upon certification of the Zoning Administrator.
Upon building permit approval, specific inspections will be required. Inspections take place on Monday, Thursday, and Friday mornings and Tuesdays all day and should be scheduled at least 48 hours in advance. Please call the Community Development Office at 673-6041 x 206 to schedule your inspections.
Forms, Applications & Waivers:
- Building Permit Application (for Single & Multi Family, Commercial, Industrial, Electric, Plumbing, Septic System, Alteration or Additions, Pool, Change of Use, Individual Sign, Demolition, Foundation Only, Year Round, Seasonal, Home Occupation, etc)
- Building Permit and Plan Submittal Checklists:
- Deck Example Handout
- Fire Permit Application (for oil and gas burners, LP installations and removals, gas piping, etc)
- Home Occupation
- Small Wind Energy Systems Permit
- Driveway Access Permit
- Septic System Repair Waiver
- Board of Health Waiver
For any questions please call the Community Development Office 673-6041 x 206.