The Amherst Police Department and Tastee Kone have once again joined forces in 2015 to promote safe bicycle riding as summer approaches. Throughout the biking season, police officers will be looking for school children of all ages who demonstrate safe riding behavior. When an officer spots a deserving rider, he or she will issue a coupon good for one free ice cream cone at the Tastee Kone ice cream shop located at 272 Route 101 in Amherst (in the Patio Barn parking lot, just a short car ride from anywhere in town). So, wearing a helmet and being safe will not only please mom and dad, but will give each child a chance to choose from 34 different flavors of ice cream at the end of their ride! Officers will be on the lookout beginning in June.
As we all prepare for a safe and fun summer, the Amherst Police Department would also like to remind bicyclists and motorists of the following important NH state laws:
- Motorists approaching bicyclists shall leave at least 3 feet between the vehicle and the bicycle when traveling 30 mph or less, and one additional foot of clearance for every 10 mph above 30 mph
- Bicycles may not be operated unless the steering, brakes, tires, and other required equipment are in safe condition
- Riders under 16 must wear an approved helmet
- Bicyclists shall wear at least one item of reflective apparel during the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise
- Bicycles operated at night must have a white headlamp visible from 300 feet in front of the bicycle, and a red reflector visible from 300 feet to the rear, and the use of a red lamp in addition to the red reflector is recommended
- Bicycle riders must follow the same rules of the road that apply to drivers of motor vehicles