Due to the impending snow storm, the Village Strategic Plan Public Input session scheduled for Wednesday, January 28 has been postponed. We will reschedule at a later time. Please check the Village Strategic Plan website for the latest project updates.
Amherst Board of Selectmen Awaiting More Information
Like many citizens in our town, the Amherst Board of Selectmen is following closely the information associated with the Kinder Morgan gas pipeline proposal. The Selectmen have not taken a position for or against the pipeline at this point as this process is at the beginning stages with very little information available at this point.
We will continue to gather information, meet with Kinder Morgan, with other towns, the Nashua Regional Planning Commission, our State representatives and also our Federal representatives to try and understand what options exist and to make sure that if a pipeline is built in Amherst, it is done in a way that is best for the town of Amherst.
Kinder Morgan released their open houses schedule for January and February with dates, times and locations. Please review the schedule provided under Upcoming meetings or events for more details. We would encourage interested citizens to attend and speak at the open houses and public hearings.
Below please find information that has been gathered thus far:
From the Amherst Board of Selectmen:
- Selectmen Draft Charter - Selectmen announce the formation of a Pipeline Task Force
- Warrant Article 32: Grant Amherst Board of Selectmen Pipeline Intervener Status
- Guidance on posting signs for or against the Pipeline
- NH Delegation correspondence to FERC - January 14, 2015
- NH Delegation correspondence to Kinder Morgan - January 14, 2015
Upcoming meetings or events:
- Kinder Morgan - Open Houses scheduled throughout New Hampshire and Massachusetts *** Update due to impending storm the Milford (NH), Berlin (MA) and Fitchburg (MA) meetings are postponed. New meeting date(s) to follow.
- NH Site Evaluation Committee Information Workshop - Nashua Regional Planning Commission (NRPC) – Complete
- New Hampshire Project Presentation
- About Kinder Morgan
- Kinder Morgan Fact Sheet
- Kinder Morgan Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Northeast Energy Direct (NED) Project Information:
Northeast Energy Direct (NED) Project Maps:
Recent News Articles
- New Hampshire Business Review (NHBR): Rising Electric Costs Could Crush the NH Economy
- New Hampshire Union Leader – Dave Solomon: Power man sounds alarm on system’s demands
- CLF (Conservation Law Foundation) As Cold Sets In, the New England Winter Energy “Crisis” Fizzles
- Forbes Article Dec. 17, 2014)
- New York Times Article (July 10, 2014)
Guidance on Negotiating Easements versus Eminent Domain
- Massachusetts Attorney Letter re: Decline in Property Values Due to Pipeline
- University of Kentucky — Questions Landowners Should Ask in Negotiations with Companies Seeking Easements
- Pipeline Safety Trust – The Pipeline Safety Trust promotes pipeline safety through education and advocacy, increased access to information, and partnerships with residents, safety advocates, government, and industry, resulting in safer communities and a healthier environment.
- Ft Worth, TX Attorney – Natural Gas Pipeline Easement and Right-of-Way Agreements: A Landowner’s List of Terms to Negotiate
- NHPipelineAwareness.org – Some useful information for affected property owners
Other Organizations / Sources of Information
- Protecting Your Rights when the Pipeline Comes Through – A guide to the FERC approval process and to protecting your rights during the process.
- New Hampshire Site Evaluation Committee – The New Hampshire Site Evaluation Committee was established by the legislature for the review, approval, monitoring and enforcement of compliance in the planning, siting, construction and operation of energy facilities.
- New England States Committee on Electricity (NESCO) - NESCOE is a not-for-profit organization representing the collective interests of the six New England States on regional electricity matters. It is directed by Managers appointed by the six New England Governors and advances policies to provide electricity at the lowest possible price over the long term, while maintaining reliable electric service and environmental quality.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) – FAQs concerning Gas pre-Filing projects
- FERC Brochure (PDF) — An Interstate Natural Gas Facility on My Land — What Do I Need to Know? (NOTE: this file loads very slowly)
- NHPipelineAwareness.org – NHPipelineAwareness.org strongly opposes construction of the Northeast Energy Direct natural gas pipeline (NED) that Kinder Morgan/Tennessee Gas Pipeline seeks to build in New England, New York, and Pennsylvania.
Additional Information Links:
- Presentation to the Merrimack Town Council (22-January-2015)
- Pipeline Safety
- Northeast Energy Direct Project – Draft Report December 2014
- Northeast Energy Direct Project - Online e-library
Lucas S. Meyer Consultant, Public Affairs Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P.
Allen Fore Vice President, Public Affairs Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P.
8 Anngina Dr. Enfield, CT 06082
For additional questions that cannot be answered by the links provided above or for suggestions on new informational links, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To sign up to be on the e-mail distribution list for notifications about changes/additions to this page or upcoming pipeline meeting dates/times <<<<click here>>>>
Pursuant to New Hampshire RSA 40:13, the Amherst Board of Selectmen hereby announces to the citizens the convening of the First Session - Deliberative Session – for the Town of Amherst. Participants have the opportunity to discuss, debate, and possibly amend the articles on the warrant. This meeting will discuss the FY 16 Town Operating Budget, bonds and notes, and proposed warrant articles. All citizens are invited to attend.
Souhegan High School Auditorium – 412 Boston Post Road
Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 7:00 PM
Letters were mailed to all properties that have not been inspected as part of the ongoing cyclical review process mandated by DRA. Reps from KRT, the towns contracted assessing firm, will be scheduling appointments for the last two weeks of January. For further information please visit the Assessor’s Web Page.
The Amherst Board of Selectmen look to Municipal Resources, Inc. (MRI) to evaluate the manner in which Fire/Rescue and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) are provided to the community. For more information on the agreement and scope of work, click <<<here>>>.
MRI Study Results: